Monday, January 25, 2010

Thoughts on the Devils Burden and by Torch to Dunottar



Thinking back over the last couple of days about the Devils Burden and how I did. Apperently, or allegedly I was a "worrying shade of grey" when I finished! Well I did give it my absolute all and was pushing hard that last stretch into the finish. Funnily enough though I was a bit off the barf point though, so guess I should have gone a bit harder still.
My overriding memory of the leg though was how hard my calves ached on the way up. By the time I reached the top of the muddy field they were aching and rock solid, and from there my breathing took a pounding and never really recovered. Now Stoney is a hill place and I did hill repeats last week, and tonight did the long slog from the harbour up the Bervie Braes to the monument. Both of them were nothing, absolutley nothing compared the effort required to get up that muddy field. If I'm going to do hill races [however slowly] I need to find some much steeper hills. [Pictures of the Devils Burden courtesy of Gordon - above the team, James, Andy, Phil, Jak, me and Gordon and below me about to start leg 4]

Tonight was silly run#2. Out to Dunottar castle along the coast path with the big head torch on. Actually not as bad as expected and felt safe at all times. Then back along main road [NOT a good idea], down the side of Dunottar woods before a small tour of Stoney and home. What was funny was the run down past the woods. I knew roughly where I was and roughly where I was going, but not 100% sure. Anyway it all woked out OK and I came out where I expected to.
I absolutley love running in the dark now. Something really satisfying about touring with the head torch on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sitemeter