Sunday, January 31, 2010

Out above Braefordie sat 30/01



I had been looking at my training logs and saw that if I did 8.5miles over the weekend it would take me to the 30mile mark for the week, but if I did 15.5miles it would take me to the 100miles for the month, which is really impressive given the slow start to the year, so I took the dogs out for a long hill run before heading to the Harriers Annual do. We headed off along to Lawers/Fordies before cutting up the hill. Long long grind getting up the zig-zags as the track climbed ferociously to the high plateau. Needles to say, I walked a big proportion of that, but did run when I could. Eventually we broke out of the trees and onto the plateau with the ruins of Braefordie up ahead. Star [the collie] was nuts all day and she was pounding along desperate to run free, but I'm conscious of the wildlife up there and kept them on the leads.
Running through Braefordie is always odd. Such a desolate place and so beautiful at the same time. Last time we were up here we got slightly lost, but I had taken the OS map with me and we soon found that after Braefordie we had to climb a steep embankment for 50-100m to reach the track above. From here we ran east towards Turret dam along a cracking land rover track. The plan was to be out for 2 hours so we kept on going till we had done 5 mile out [around 1:15:00 or so]. Absolutely fantastic to be up there on a sunny, but freezing day.
It was a lovely run back, stopping briefly to take a snap of Braefordie from above with Strathearn and the southern mountains in the distance. All in all a great couple of hours spent out with the dogs. Poor Shaun [the Sheltie] was real tired on the way back in the last few miles and kept on running under my feet. Not built like a collie for long days on the hill.
In the end it was 10.08miles in 2:16. Not a rapid run, but given the elevation gain I'm quite happy and it pushed me over the 30mile weekly run mark for the first time ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sitemeter