Friday, April 2, 2010

12hrs 42minutes 28 seconds to go

As I write this, my countdown timer on the PC tells me it is 12hrs 42minutes 28 seconds to go till I start the D33. Absolutely bricking it and excited at the same time about it. This will be my first ultra marathon and to be honest I'll be doing my first marathon on the same day, just before the final 10k and bit needed to get to the 33mile mark. There are two other Harriers running - Ian who does this sort of thing every week [it seems] and Graham who I think is probably in the same place as me, but is probably a stronger faster runner. Best of luck to both of them!
I don't think I have ever been so well prepared logistically for anything. Not even when I was sailing internationally on a regular basis had I covered the bases as well as tonight. All my gear is chosen, drinks made up, backpack stocked, lightweight phone charged, spares of everything. We even recc'ied where Jo and the kids are going to meet me [1.5 before the half way mark at Milton of Crathes]. I've tapered, been carefull this week with my ankle [almost there I think!], even carbed up according to the book and no alcohol since my birthday on tuesday. Estimated times are 2:30-2:45 to half way mark and 6:00 - 6:30 to finish.
Everything suggests I can do this, but that hasn't stopped me sleeping badly all week thinking about this run till the early hours. Tonight will be late-ish bedtime with Horlicks to help me along before getting up at 6 for porridge and bananas.
Will I succeed? If the ankle holds up and I can make it back to Milltimber bridge [mile 27] I am sure I can. Will I though? - I'll find out tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Kenny! You've done the training - just need to go out and do it now. Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny, you will do it - I hadn't run a marathon either before I did the fling last year. Great stuff - very proud of what you've achieved this year - wish there had been a few more of us last year - I could have done with some training partners - watching Ian and Phil T scream off in the distance doesn't really count! Best of luck to Graham too. Hope you guys get the bug and who knows, maybe there will be a few of us next year to egg each other on.

    If you want to follow my blog tha address is:
    http://adventuresofkaz.blogspot.com/

    Relax, breathe, smile and enjoy - that's my policy and it seems to work.

    Kaz.

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter