Saturday, April 3, 2010

Deeside 33

Well I did it. I completed the D33 ultra. Perhaps not in the manner I would have prefered, but I finished never the less. I am so happy about it regardless as this was always going to be a bit of a long shot. I had done the Glen Clova half in november [badly] after a very sparse year of running for all sorts of reasons, and then did zero through till xmas. It was just after new year that tired of being fatter than I would like and with a bit of a sore back I decided to get back into running more forcefully as a kind of new years resolution. So on the 7th of Jan I headed out for a whole 2 miles which was as much as I could honestly manage at the time. I had no great plans per se, perhaps hill racing, but somewhere around the middle of january I heard of the Deeside 33, and since it was the first place I ever ran any distance [a whole 6 miles] it had a certain appeal. Could I do it? Get up to that sort of mileage in a bit under 3 months from where I was. Probably not was the answer, but heh! - worth a go regardless. From there I kept the idea pretty quiet, only asking the sage advice of Ian Beattie at the Harriers 'do' if it was even worth trying.
Well I did it. Including today's run I've done 407 miles this year which is way more than the whole of 2009. Chuffed is not the word

As to the event -the forecast was rain, heavy rain, but apart from a few showers it stayed dry. Two other Harriers were running - Graham Martin and Ian Beattie. Jo did try and get a picture of Ian but he ran off as the photo was taken and she ended up with a picture of someone else!

For Graham this was his 30mile test before the Fling, for Ian his 75th ultra/marathon on his 20th year of running anniversary.

Definetly felt like the proverbial fat boy at the back amongst all the racing snakes, but as the race started droppped into a [possibly too quick] 9:00ish pace. Felt really good all the way out past Culter, but was starting to flag a bit as I came into the Milton of Crathes car park where Jo and the kids had arrange to meet me. Storm was there to greet me on the approach path and Gregor near the road.
From there it was only a mile and a half to half way, which seemed to be some sort of party in the woods, with lots of runners taking advantage of the free jam sandwiches and cake.
The return leg was not so good. I hit left knee pain which meant I was struggling to run freely and started on a long run/walk cycle to get me home. There was no way I was giving up, but it was a long unpleasant trip home. A Culter station I went to take a small stone out of my shoe and got hit by severe cramp in the left calf which had me rolling about in absolute agony much to the amusement of a few old grannies. I admit to reaching for the phone and canning the run, but decided to wait till it cleared and keep going. I learned later that Graham had had some hip problems, but Jo and the kids wouldn't let him give up and get in the car! Not sure if he was thankfull at the end or not. That last 6 miles or so was tough, but despite my knee and calves my head was good and I was in pretty decent spirts. No way was I giving up!
So 6hrs, 35 minutes after the start I crawled across the line.
I may not have had a super race but I think the smile on my face says it all. I actually really enjoyed it. The others? Ian finished literally miles ahead in 4:37 and was thankfully still around. Graham finished half an hour ahead of me in 6:05, but I'll let him clarify what his finishing mood was.
The funniest bit though has to be the finish. I had ran / walked the last 10miles and while it was not great it worked and my legs never felt like I could not move them. 30 seconds after the finish though they locked and it took me ages of waddling like a penguin to go the 30yards across to the car. Getting in the car was even more hilarious!
So all in all a good day, and the question of willI do an ultra again is yes - I may have only done the 75% I predicted and walked the other 25%, but my head was in the right place and for sure I will do another. I had toyed with the idea of the Fling, but I'm way way off being strong enough for that. Next year though? Hmmmm.

5 comments:

  1. WELL DONE, KENNY!

    I am so glad you enjoyed it despite some pain here or there. I reckon it would be quite a tough course actually as it seems it is fairly flat - I like the variation of muscle groups the fling presents.

    I feel your penguin walk pain. By the time we got back form the fling last year I had totally ceased up in the car and had a flash of how I would be walking when I'm 90 - it looked very much like my nanna and it was hilarious! The stairs the next day were impossible to walk down - I had to come down on my butt - so good luck with that.

    I think you have done a fantastic effort - 2 miles to 33 in 3 months - Awesome!

    I'm always amazed at what one can do when one believes they can!

    Well done again,

    Kaz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Kenny.

    A great effort which will get better with each telling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Kenny! A fantastic achievement. But you do know it's a slippery slope don't you? Soon 33 miles will be a wee run for you ;)

    Don't worry about not getting Ian in your photo. The photo of him at the start of the Perth 24 hour is infamous in the ultra community!

    Well done. And good luck Jo. Does she know yet what's really involved in providing back up?

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Kenny! I'm genuinely hugely impressed by your progress this year and you should be very proud of what you've done...but I can tell you ain't finished yet and look forward to your future exploits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Kenny.I'm so pleased for you.
    Look forward to seeing you at the Speyside Way but enjoy a well earned rest first

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter