Thursday, March 18, 2010

Definitely Maybe.....?

Haven't posted for a week and a half or so, so it is time for an update.
Last wednesday [10th] was the weekly long run and was down to Duthie park and out the deeside way to a few miles past 'Culter, before back along the North Deeside road to Duthie park and back up to Altens. Absolutely murderous, really hard work and in the end made it to just short of 23miles. Never the less - nearly 23miles was a good run after the quickish run on the monday night. Legs were certainly tired from the start but they got me home. The following thursday was a light 3mile recovery run which went better than expected.
AsI thought the weekend was pretty hard to get anything in. It was Gregor's 5th birthday and the WHOLE wekend was consumed by it, between running round getting bits and pieces, doing the party on the saturday and the whole actual birthday on the sunday with my folks coming up as well. I did manage a quick round Aberuchill with the dogs on late saturday afternoon. Cranked the pace up a bit on the way back which felt really great. I'm not fast, but I felt fast and that is a good feeling. One other thing I did do, was to enter the Alloa half on the following weekend. I was not going to do this already, but right now it makes little difference to my training if I do it or not, so on that basis I might as well enter and see how I do. Expectations? None. Just going to go and run and be there with the other Harriers. If I feel good I 'll go hard, otherwise it's another 13miles logged on what will be my peak week.
This week started with a 7.5miler out the cliff path to Dunottar and back round the outer loop of Stonehaven. Once again hard hills out to the castle, a mile cool down back into town and down the Bervie Braes, before upping the pace and running hard for the next 3miles or so. It is nice to find the miles I'm doing having secondary effects on my speed and stamina at beyond my usual plod. Wednesdays long run was almost a disaster. Had been in a meeting ALL day and had only had sandwiches and coffee so fueling and hydration were 'nearly not sh*t'! I got back to my desk at 4ish and went to make up a sports drink only to find the bottle smelt a bit suspect. Bother! No worries I'll pick up a drink at the garage. So off I went. The garage only had sports drinks with phenylaniline [which triggers my asthma] or fizzy. Ended up buying a plain water and two milk shakes. A couple of miles in and my stomach did not feel good. a bit bloated and heavy. By mile 9 some where out by 'Culter I knew I had to 'go' and eventually found a place to retain my modesty! That was a real relief. Carried on from there till the light was nearly gone, almost at the point where the way reaches down to the Dee around Drumoak. The return was back into Culter and along the boring boring boring North Deeside road. This stretch was not brilliant. Stiff back of knees, several walk breaks. Not good. I even drank one of the milk shakes too quickly and ran for a bit with what felt like a brick in my stomach. As I said not brilliant. That did clear though and suddenly around mile 20 I had some oomph and made it across the dee and up to the Audi garage at the top of the ['first] hill. A few miles later [with some walking up the hills] I was back at the car. 23miles later.
Now it was not a good run. Gastric problems, badly fueled, stiff legs and upper calves very twitchy at the end, but there is one big big big plus. Mentally I was always strong and finished smiling through the pain in my jellied legs. Come sunday and the Alloa half will be the end of my peak week. Next two weeks are taper time, but will need to learn NOT to run though!!
I now rate my chances in two weeks as being 75%. That did bother me at first when I arrived at that figure, but on reflection I'm cool with it. This was always going to be a stupidly ambitious challenge and even if I don't complete I will still be a winner.
Right now though - a glass of wine and a few days off before Alloa.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Kenny.Sounds as if you are going from strength to strength
    Good luck at Alloa. I wont be running as my injury still hasnt cleared up. However if Liz (wife) is running I will go over and support so I might see you there

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter