Monday, February 8, 2010

Learning lessons and the week ahead

Last week was a pretty significant one for me with a total mileage of 39 miles against a target of 38.5. This week the plan calls for 42.5 miles and requires me to go beyond the 20mile mark for the first time ever. I've no worries in whether I can do that distance or not, the only doubt now is that because I've published it as a target something will step in and make me miss it. What could go wrong? Well lets see-
  • the weather, with more snow being forecast could make things trick again although it is looking ok so far.
  • Injury - I'm well aware I have ramped up very very quickly this year and am probably just under the injury line. so far I have only had the usual stuff round the lower leg calves and ankles. I think as long as I keep the pace comfortable I'll be ok, but I know on paper it could all go wrong very easily
  • Stuff - you know stuff - there is always something crops when you don't want it.
But on the plus side I learned a whole lot last week.
  • Fueling on the run. I'm big. Even at my reduced 112kg [this morning] I'm much bigger than most runners and since energy expended, either kinetic or potential is proportional to mass I must use more than the average runner. So....assuming most advice, like take 1 gel per 40mins is aimed at the average 75kg runner I probably need to take 1.5 x that, or 2 gels every 50mins. Last weeks long run proved that. Every time I took food in I felt warmer and mentally brighter never mind stronger or faster. I probably need to eat way more than I am at the moments on the long runs. According to Garmin, I used ~3500cals on the 17mile run, so that takes a bit of replacement!
  • Given fuel, I can run for ages and ages!
  • Keep off the hills when I'm planning a long run that week. I had done a lot of hill running in the last few weeks and last weeks my calves were just stiff as anything going up the climbs.
  • All this training is working wonders with my cold induced exercise asthma. Running much easier, no need for the Psolar mask and because I'm pushing it a bit, my heart rates are dropping rapidly. For ages I ran with little improvement. Putting the miles in over the last few weeks has brought a huge increase in aerobic ability. Great!
  • Keep worrying about getting injured. As long as the niggles are there and the threat of it hangs over me I'm more likely to run defensively. The more defensive I run, the longer I can run, in both distance and time [as in I can run next week].
So I'm looking forward to this coming week. This is my peak week of the cycle, as I'm offshore next week and have planned a step back week, before climbing again to the mid-40s the week after. Anyway, as the mileage climbs I'm getting more and more confident I can make the first goal I've set myself in some sort of comfortable shape and beginning to think maybe, just maybe I could do more and longer. Could I do the Fling or the WHW? not sure and definitely not this year, but next..... Well lets see what pans out over the next few months.
Yesterday I finished a great week off by running 5miles with the dogs and Jo cycling alongside. That was really nice, running along chatting away to her. MUST do that more often - much more satisfying than any mileage ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sitemeter