Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cracking week Gromit!

Thursday night. In my last post I did wonder whether I was going to manage the week ahead. OK, so my week runs Mon-Sun and I still have the weekend to trip up on but the weekdays have been more than expected. Monday night was the [now usual] run out along the cliff path to Dunottar followed by an outer loop round Stonehaven. 7.6miles. The big run was planned for wednesday and even up till lunchtime I wasn't sure what the route would be. Could have been Stonehaven and back, or out the Deeside way, or a few miles in Aberdeen, then onto Stonehaven and a few more miles there. In the end what I decided on worked really well.
The route saw me leave Altens in Aberdeen [I work on top of the hill at Altens on the south side of Aberdeen], run downhill for about 1.5 miles [really!] to the riverside, across the Dee and back along the riverside to Anderson Drive. It is only when you get out the car and run that you notice just how hilly Aberdeen is! Anyway the route carried on up Anderson Drive to Great Western Road, before cutting along Holburn Rd to Anderson drive again, back along the river to cross again at Great Southern road and back up the very very long hill to Altens again. That gave me just under 8 miles, before the 12miles back along the A90 to Stonehaven. Once there a quick [actually slow] circuit of Cowie gave me 20.8 miles in just under 4 hours. Another new distance achievement.
In keeping with the lessons learned last week, I purposely ate more this week, consuming 2 gels, 2 small bananas, 1 gel pack sized custard [OK, but not too tasty], 1 small ambrosia custard pot [absolutely brilliant!], some jelly babies and the high-5 sports drink mix in my backpack's drinks bladder. All the way I felt warm enough, mentally strong and happy 90% of the time and generally OK. Definitely the proof of the pudding was in the eating!
Tonight's 3+ mile recovery run around the beach at Stonehaven was so much better than expected. Last week's was a bit stiff and uncomfortable in the beginning and end, but tonight's was pretty good. Just a bit of a struggle into the strong breeze at times.
So all in all, an excellent 4 days. Just short of 32miles in three runs, so just need to fit in 10-11 miles at the weekend to do my target mileage for the week.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic Kenny. I'm sure you're right the key is being able to eat on these long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Phil
    Really enjoying these long runs from place to place. I think filling the camelbak with ambrosia custard seems a logical move next!
    Take it easy with that calf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never even considered custard in a bladder but it does open up a whole new range of eating/drinking options.
    What is all this training for?? Do you have a big race planned or have I missed it in your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am indeed training for something, but I'm kind of keeping it close to my chest for the moment as it's a bit of a jump for me. However everything is going pretty well to plan and I'm feeling fairly confident about the challenge ahead.
    Really enjoying the mileage and making working away work for me by doing the long stuff wednesday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil,
    I honestly don't mean it to be too intriging, but sometimes I prefer to keep the goals that really matter to myself until at least I'm pretty sure I'm come through. It seems to increase the chances of succeeding at whatever goal it is for me. It's almost like publishing them negates the desire to complete. The next couple of weeks should confirm if I'm going to be there or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I just need to keep on the right side of the injury line as well!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter